Practice Policies


Patient Information Document

How do I raise a concern?

At Crest Family Practice we make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our practice. However, we are aware that things can go wrong resulting in a patient feeling that they have a genuine cause for concern.  If this is so we would wish for the matter to be settled as quickly, and as amicably, as possible.


We are continually striving to improve our service. We appreciate that people often do not like to comment or raise a concern, but we assure you that we do want to know if you are not satisfied. If you have a comment, complaint or suggestion, please tell any member of staff who will assist you.


Receiving of complaints


The Practice may receive a concern made by, or (with his/her consent) on behalf of a patient, or former patient, who is receiving or has received treatment at the Practice, or:


(a) Where the patient is a child:

  • by either parent, or in the absence of both parents, the guardian or other adult who has care of the child;
  • by a person duly authorised by a local authority to whose care the child has been committed under the provisions of the Children Act 1989;(b) Where the patient is incapable of making a complaint, by a relative or other adult who has an interest in his/her welfare.The period for making a complaint is normally:

    (b) 12 months from the date on which the event which is the subject of the complaint comes to the complainant's notice.If you are unhappy with our services please tell a member of our staff. Often the problem can be sorted out straight away. However, if this is not the case, or if you prefer not to talk to the member of staff involved in your care, you can contact our Patient Services Manager. Alternatively, you can telephone or write to the Customer Contact Centre of NHS England. The address and telephone number can be found below.
  • To whom should I complain initially?
  • (a) 12 months from the date on which the event which is the subject of the complaint occurred; or
  • What is the time limit for making a complaint?


NHS Procedure


We will acknowledge your written complaint within five working days and offer you the opportunity to meet face to face to discuss your concerns.


We will also ask you what you would like to happen as a result of your complaint, for example, an apology, a new appointment or an explanation. We try whenever possible to speak to you directly about your concerns and may arrange to meet with you to hear first-hand your experience.


We will then agree a plan of action and decide upon the timescales in which will respond to your complaint.


Your complaint will be fully investigated. This involves finding out what has happened by talking to staff involved and taking any necessary action.


If it is not possible to deal with your complaint within the period agreed, we will write to you explaining the reason for the delay. The sooner you make a complaint the easier it is to investigate and the more likely it is the complaint can be resolved.


If you are not satisfied with our response

If you remain unhappy following our response, you can complain to the Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is completely independent of the NHS and Government. You can contact the Ombudsman at:


Where can I get further advice and help?

There are many reasons for needing help to complain. If you would like someone independent of the NHS to help you complain, contact the NHS complaints advocacy services on:

The Care Forum Bristol

  • Tel: 0808 808 5252


Seap ( Support, Empower Advocacy promote)

  • Telephone:      0300 3435704
  • Email:    
  • Website:

Keeping your complaint confidential

Any personal data and information collected in relation to your concern or complaint is treated as strictly confidential and only made available to people who are involved in the investigation.


Information about the nature of the complaint is used to monitor the quality of care and may be followed up with the professionals concerned where problems are identified.


The fact that you have complained will not be recorded on your medical records.


Reviewed:                   November 2017

Next review date:      November 2018


Confidentiality & Medical Records

Locked blue folderStrict guidelines regarding the disclosure, handling and transfer of patient information are observed by all staff.

Patients have the right to request access to their own medical records held in both paper and electronic form. Requests should be made in person or in writing to either a GP or the Practice Manager. There is no charge for viewing notes but charges may be made for providing copies, these will be advised at the time of request.

We do not disclose your medical information without your permission. Any request for access to a patient’s medical records received from a third party such as a solicitor or insurance company must be made with the full consent of the patient.

Freedom of Information

Information about the General Practioners and the practice required for disclosure under this act can be made available to the public. All requests for such information should be made to the practice manager.

Access to Records

In accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and Access to Health Records Act, patients may request to see their medical records. Such requests should be made through the practice manager and may be subject to an administration charge. No information will be released without the patient consent unless we are legally obliged to do so.

Violence Policy

The NHS operate a zero tolerance policy with regard to violence and abuse and the practice has the right to remove violent patients from the list with immediate effect in order to safeguard practice staff, patients and other persons. Violence in this context includes actual or threatened physical violence or verbal abuse which leads to fear for a person’s safety. In this situation we will notify the patient in writing of their removal from the list and record in the patient’s medical records the fact of the removal and the circumstances leading to it.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website